Feb 5, 2010

Habits and Rituals

Hello guys!

It's been quite a while since my last blog post. You weren't able to read even just a single post for the month of January.

I wondered why until I realized it seemed that starting this year with goals setting workshops and intense reflections took away my attention from blogging. Anyway, here's another post to start and run my blog-engine for your consumption of great ideas.

It's the First Friday of February. One of my teams was designated as the sponsors for our office's First Friday Mass and I'll be the reader of the First Reading. The mass is actually a monthly ritual here in my workplace, wherein officers, enlisted personnel, and civilian personnel gather altogether for an hour of prayer. After the mass, all birthday celebrants of the month are called to the front and blessed by the priest. Then we partake of a sumptuous breakfast at the canteen as part of celebrating the personnel's birthdays for the month. As I mentioned a while ago, the mass is a ritual being conducted at our office.

I suddenly recalled what I read from Nick Usborne's Writing Rituals e-book. He explained the difference between habits and rituals.

What's the difference?

Maybe you have the idea already.

Habits are actions being done without much conscious effort on your part. These are things you do automatically or even without much thinking.

Rituals are actions performed with a higher degree of awareness and intention. You cannot just do them and only realize lately saying to yourself, "Ummm, so I was doing them." From the very execution, you already know that you are doing what you do.

It's the same with the First Friday story I told you above. The mass is considered as a ritual being done by the office personnel. People are praying together, with a higher consciousness of talking to the Supreme Creator.

So what are your habits and what are your rituals?

Knowing and understanding your habits and rituals may become the essential ingredients in knowing more about yourself, to know what and where you are, to clearly define what you want to be and where you want to go, and eventually see what else you need to think about, need to change, and need to do in order to become the right person who will attract the success you want in life.

Good morning! Today's another great day! I have to prepare for the mass, I'm running a bit late of my schedule already. But I'm really happy I was able to share this to you.

May you live well and enjoy life to the fullest.

Happy First Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment